Friday 25 October 2019

The Lady of the Rivers (Booktober)


"Some women cannot march to the beat of a man's drum. Do you understand?"




So every once in a while I will pull out a Gregory novel, although I have to admit I prefer her Plantagenet ones to her Tudor ones - and even then only the first few! But Lady of the Rivers was a fascinating story for me, and for some reason it makes me think about autumn and falling rain what with it happening in foggy, murky England almost all the time. I know it's definitely not all true, but if you keep an open mind it can certainly be entertaining, plus Elizabeth Woodville's mother really WAS formidable!

I mean hey, only way to give birth to a future Queen, right?




Jacquetta, daughter of the Count of Luxembourg and kinswoman to half the royalty of Europe, was married to the great Englishman John, Duke of Bedford, uncle to Henry VI. Widowed at the age of 19, she took the extraordinary risk of marrying a gentleman of her household for love, and then carved out a new life for herself; this is the story of the real-life mother to the White Queen.
(from Goodreads)

xx
*image not mine

No comments:

Post a Comment