Saturday 22 November 2014

Synopsis Saturday: clandestine operations, irony and John Diggle



Hello everyone!

It's Saturday, and that means the second synposis since this blog started. Luckily, this week was still full with shows, because as of the next one, a lot of them are taking a week (or two) of a break, which means I'll get some air to breathe inbetween keeping up with the lot I watch, if nothing else! It was an action-packed week on every single episode it would seem, but SO much good writing that I was sitting on the edge of my seat almost all the time. Awesome!

This week saw a newbie make its debut, so I'm going to start the review with the new kid on the block, State of Affairs.

Katherine Heigl, State of Affairs, NBC

State of Affairs has garnered mixed reviews with comparisons to shows such as Homeland, but I'm reserving my judgment until I've seen more of it. I watched the pilot mainly because of Katherine Heigl, a very good promo video, and the fact that I've been into the background stuff that happens under the name of CIA or any other agency like that for a while now. As a matter of fact, I'm currently reading Vince Flynn's highly-praised book series about CIA operative Mitch Rapp. Back to the show, I thought it was a solid affair, not quite there yet, and seemed a whole lot of rushed at times. I'm also wary of the fact that the CIA director and some of his highest employees are apparently not on the same page, since that makes me think alarming thoughts, but maybe it's just me. I enjoyed the addition of a female president, while we're at it. All in all, I look forward to how the show is going to turn out, and give it 3.5 on a scale of 5 stars.

Dancing with the Stars was no real surprise with its elimination - although it's obviously showing now that they have more time on their hands since they all get to talk so much!

Gotham was a bit of a disappointment this week. Okay, maybe a lot of disappointment. Initially, I really enjoyed the crime-solving theme they had going, but unfortunately it seems to have taken a back burner to all the drama that goes on in Gordon's life, which isn't as interesting as writers might have hoped. Barbara was and still is a disaster, and the only one who was a saving grace this week was Bullock, because let's face it, we all need a dose of him on Monday nights. 2 stars out of 5 for this show, unfortunately.

The Originals made up for everything Gotham disappointet me over and State of Affairs left me lukewarm for, because you know things get real when they start mentioning Hope's name and bringing Klaus into his usual, dangerous self. The scenes between brothers were amazing, the fact that this time it was Klaus who had to bring Elijah back made me aww so much because it really shows their relationship well. Finn has another thing coming if he thinks he'll get off the hook easy, and Kol ... well, I'm not sure about Kol. I don't think anyone is. The dialogue was excellent, and Klaus killing his father broke my heart (although on the other end of the spectrum, I think Esther deserves whatever it is she's going to get): 5 of 5, easily.

The Flash gets 4 of 5 stars from me this week because we see a different side of Barry again, how he still struggles with everything, and also bonding time with Eddie (let's be honest, we all though for a second that Eddie wanted to hit Barry; just for a second). I think Eddie, if he won't become a superhero/villain/whatever they plot for him might have to be brought into the loop about the Flash soon, though. Joe and Wells working together looked promising enough, but I'm discouraged by the promos for the crossover episode which is coming up so I'm reserving judgment on that one. ALSO, theories are flying about what killed Barry's mother and who might be behind it - I'm thinking it definitely has to do with Tess Morgan somehow. I'm not sure how it would tie in, but the timing is too close together for it to be anything else, or that's my guess.

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., ABC

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. nearly managed to unseat me this week with everything they had going on, but really, this show just keeps on getting better, setting a really good example for Gotham how to tie-in with the movie universe, and just keeping things as real as possible. The dialogues were again written to perfection, especially where Skye's father is concerned - I wonder if Whitehall has any idea at all what's coming for him. Probably not. On a different note - Hunter and Morse. FINALLY. Those lines were perfection: 'Will you ever trust me?' 'No ... but I'll never stop wanting to.' I mean COME ON. I give this episode 4.5 stars out of 5 mainly because I'm so confused over Ward right now that I need time to put my head back on straight. Like, seriously. The man needs to make up his mind what he's going to do, although I smell a treachery coming up at some point either way.

The 100 keeps getting better and better, as much as I had my doubts over some episodes so far, but this latest one shook them off for me. It's ironic how we get to see the adults having to go through similar adjustment processes as the kids had to when they first came to Earth, but I really hope they figure out they could probably use more than just their knowledge - but them, too. It's not like they survived on the planet by picking daisies. Mount Weather keeps getting creepier and creepier with the blood testing and the drugs. Poor Lincoln, I really hope we get him back eventually. Finn looks like a man possessed, and I sincerely hope Clarke  finds someone better (hintBellamyhint). 4.5 for this one as well because of some confusion I keep experiencing - and the annoying security woman still making a lot of idiotic calls.

Arrow was both hilarious and creepy at the same time this week - not to mention they broke my heart. Having someone stalk Oliver had me shuddering and then giggling at the same time, because really, it's been a long time coming I suppose. The vigilante IS pretty popular, after all. It was nice knowing Cupid is now in the Suicide Squad instead of in prison somewhere, too. Diggle was the man of the hour with the mediation he keeps on doing between Oliver and Felicity, even if it isn't quite working the way he wants it to (or we want it for that matter!). Ray and Felicity broke my heart - more so because Ray pretty much shoved all the billionaire stuff down her throat and she came off as incredibly shallow despite her speech that got him the deed to the mines. The viewers know Felicity is more than that, which is why this is so much more frustrating and just plain sad. I give it 4 of 5 stars purely for this reason. (On a side-note, the scene with the shrink was ridiculously funny. Cue Oliver having a 'seriously' moment

screencap copyright to me)

Reign this week was a rollercoaster. I'm really not getting into the Claude character, especially since it was insinuated that she suffocated her younger sisters. I hope that's just a warped ghost memory thing and not reality, she's annoying enough as it is. I have a love-hate relationship with how Francis seems to talk to everyone about his problems BUT Mary, who he should talk to most, and I do hope we see more of their reign together eventually. As in, making joint decisions and stuff. Lola strikes me as an odd character since she can't seem to make up her mind whether to trust Narcisse or not (obviously, she can't). As for Narcisse himself, I really, truly wish I could despise him - but as much as I want to, it isn't working. It's just NARCISSE. He's so bad I like it. Although I really hope Catherine finally steps in and starts fixing the problem with him now that she's seen her daughter being her usual self. It would save everyone a LOT of headaches. 4 of 5. 

Hawaii Five-0 was back this week, and I couldn't be happier! For a while in season 4 I had the feeling that the writers were struggling with plots and such, but this episode redeemed them in my eyes because of a plot twist I did NOT see coming, although really, alusions to Sherlock Holmes and his famous 'curious incident of the dog in the night time' quote, and Dumb Witness from Agatha Christie were brilliant. Did I see it coming down to the mother? Nope. But all the old dynamics were back, and I loved it. That Steve has also admitted he loved Catherine and is hurting was a big step forward for the character as well. 5 of 5 stars.

Have you watched any of the shows this week? What did you think?

Have a good one x

No comments:

Post a Comment