Tuesday 2 December 2014

Talkie Tuesday: The Last Samurai


Hello everyone!

I can't believe it's December already, though looking out through my window you'd think it was sometime around April by the weather. I swear we're turning into Forks here on this end, but luckily our TV stations had some good ideas this past weekend about movies and I got to catch up on an oldie goldie while that happened: The Last Samurai.

Okay, yes, this movie has been out for more than a decade already and I'm sure there are by far more sophisticated reviews out there about it, by now ten years old, but it's one of my favourites when it comes to historical movies (even if it's not entirely accurate), and if I'm honest, one of the few Tom Cruise movies I can watch. Somehow, I can't seem to get into his vibe, although I can probably name more than a couple that were really good.

The Last Samurai, WBP

The Last Samurai tells the story of the rebellion against the modern world, when a group of warriors almost carved out of ancient times steps up to defend their country against what they believe is an invasion of the West, in a time when Japan is opening itself to western policies and importing a lot of merchandise and knowledge from across the sea. Tom Cruise plays the role of Nathan Algren, a drunk soldier who keeps having nightmares about an attack against an innocent village of Native Americans which was ordered as retaliation in an ongoing battle between the natives and the invaders (who called themselves the new natives, of course), so when his old officer reaches out, through contacts, to hire him to teach the Japanese soldiers American warfare, he jumps onto the boat and heads into the unknown.

Things ... do not go exactly as plan, as the emperor's spokesperson, Omura, orders an attack against the samurai, who have sabotaged one of his trains. Unfortunately, the soldiers aren't ready yet, and what follows is a blood-bath - which Algren predicted, but no one listened to him. He's injured, and taken captive by Katsumoto, the samurai leader, who brings him into his own province to the village of his son over the winter.

This then leads into the viewers learning a bit more about Japanese culture, which from a film-maker's point of view would probably not be so considerate today, but I loved every moment of it and, even though I've seen other reviews and the notes about historical inaccuracies, I didn't blame the film makers for them - I simply went and found the true facts myself, but watching it was still fascinating. I also got a kick out of seeing Hiroyuki Sanada being totally badass throughout the movie.

The best parts, to me, were after Algren decided to side with Katsumoto, rescues him from house arrest and impending death in Tokyo, and fights side-by-side - as a samurai himself - with the last of the warriors in a battle they can't hope to win (but Tom Cruise survives - duh - and gets the girl in the end, so yay on that!). One of the best scenes was Taka dressing Algren into her deceased husband's samurai armour - I swear I always swoon, no matter how many times I watch it!

The Last Samurai, WBP

It can be a lengthy movie if it's watched on TV with commercials in it, but I love sitting through it and watching the beautiful vistas that open up on screen, as well as Ken Watanabe's acting skills (I will admit that the major reason why I wanted to watch the new Godzilla movie was because he was listed on the cast sheet: no shame!). I just sit back and enjoy a good night's entertainment, especially since I'm a history nerd myself most of the time, and after taking an elective in East Asia history I guess I can justify my admiration! There are obviously some drawbacks, as with most movies, but in general it's a much better watch (to me) than many they belch out nowadays.

What did you think of The Last Samurai?

Have a good one x

No comments:

Post a Comment