Thursday 19 October 2023

Tome Thursday: Alice and the Billionaire Boss

 
Hello everyone!
 
Tonight's blog will be a much briefer over-view of a book than I would usually do because I ran out of time.
 
This bakery job thing is ferocious, I tell you, and I'm already dreading the 30th because the two days afterwards are holidays when we're closed - people will go NUTS, I'm sure.
 
Anyway!
 
Last week I realized I completely failed and didn't review a book by Serenity Woods.
 
Turns out, I didn't do it because my computer was out of commission at the time, so here I am now.
 
Because one can never have too many billionaires in their life.
 
Another one, and one of my personal favourites, really, is a feature in this particular literary work of art, and his name is Kip.
 
 
Links to previous related works can be found at the bottom of the page, as per usual!
 
Kip is Saxon's twin, he of the Cinderella and the Billionaire Boss fame, and he swipes right on Tinder for a one night stand with a girl, but ends up taking her to a double date dinner with Saxon and his partner first.
 
Turns out, Alice is trying to lose her virginity and she took to Tinder to do it, but she's been turned off those kind of dates because of some really silly men, and Kip is now determined to help her out, so to speak.
 
Which, he does. Trust me, he does.
 
And he also just keeps on messaging her afterwards as well. And she's messaging back.
 
The thing here is though, that Alice isn't sure a long term relationship will work for her because of her other obligations: after the unfortunate passing of her father completely devastated her mother, it was discovered she suffered from Multiple Sclerosis, and Alice has been her full-time caregiver since she was sixteen.
 
She's determined to give her younger sister a chance to live a full life (including a husband and children, which is touched on in this book as the sister wants to come home to help out, but there's a guy who asks her to marry him so she's torn). This also means she believes SHE can't really have a relationship.
 
Kip, however, is determined to get his own way somehow. He discovers that Alice is a pretty famous reviewer and has her own podcast which he regularly listens to, and she's built quite a career with it, which only brings them closer together.
 
Until, that is, Alice pulls the plug.
 
Several alcoholized beverages and a fight between brothers later, Kip gets a message that Alice's mother called his office number, and so he calls her back, and asks what SHE wants.
 
Which I think is poignant enough, because neither of the daughters actually asked her about it.
 
So he flies down to their place to discuss it all with Alice, and the mom surprises everyone when she says she's ready to move in with Alice and Kip and to have a larger support group around her (namely, the Chevaliers who, you know it, will be handling this like pros) and she wants BOTH her girls to be happy.
 
The book ends on a high note, because Kip and Alice's future has never looked brighter, considering everything, and you have to read it to believe it.
 
I was very kindly sent an ARC so that I could read and review it early.

And yowza! I knew I was excited for Kip's book for a reason.

We really dig into his character in this one, why he is who he is, what makes him both assertive and humble at the same time, and what really makes him tick.

I loved it. I also loved getting to know Alice - who I like to think is a bit like all of us reviewers, and such a clever, different profession for her to have in comparison to other heroines. She's generous, compassionate, innocent, but not a doormat, and genuinely lovely.

The supporting cast of Chevaliers continues to impress me, ans Alice's family also takes center stage in this one, which I thought was beautiful.

The story moves along the timeline nicely, focusing on key points but still keeping it on a forward trajectory, and the writing remains on point as it always has been. Serenity Woods creates compelling characters and stories even or maybe especially when they're facing hardships and/or arguing. And as I'm in my 30s myself, I thoroughly appreciate the mature handling of relationships in all her books.

One thing that I was slightly miffed by was Saxon not apologizing for pushing Kip into a corner and goading him out. I suppose if that's how things usually go it makes sense, but with the explosive consequences one would THINK Kip wouldn't be the only one to say sorry. Damon, interestingly, is the only brother who acknowledges Saxon is an arse in that moment too.

But aside from this I loved the book. It's a love story, true, but it's also about taking control of your life and choices, as well as trusting someone else not to take that from you. It's wonderfully resonant, and I thought the illness factor was also explored very thoughtfully.

10/10 would recommend, and you'll need tissues when you read!
 
xx
*image not mine
 
Cinderella - Beauty (and the Billionaire Boss)
Talking Dirty - One Night - Faking Love (with the Billionaire Boss)

No comments:

Post a Comment