Tuesday 16 May 2023

Talkie Tuesday: Eurovision

 

"You're stuck on me like a tattoo."

 
Hello everyone!

And welcome to a very short little fluff piece about the previous week when we once again saw the biggest European music competition come and go.

Seeing as it's a yearly event (that only got cancelled once in 2020 for obvious reasons), it's not like it was a one and done or anything, but each year usually brings something with it we haven't seen before.

I can't decide what this was during this current year besides the very obvious, but we'll do our best.

I also managed to completely conk out right after the competition part of the show, so I missed the fun bits!

It's never about the competition so much as it is about the accompanying acts that come one, come all.

Considering it was hosted by one of the "Big Five", it makes sense that the spectacle was something to see.

So without further ado, let's have a quick look at this year's Eurovision.

I do have a link or two you can find about this at the bottom of the page, as per usual.

After two semi-final nights on Tuesday and Thursday last week, it was time for the grand final come Saturday and boy, people were excited.

I mean here's the thing.

It was hosted by the UK, which just two weeks ago crowned its new King, so the country had two big things happening one weekend after another, which is already a pretty solid deal.


Then you consider the "Big Five" and, well, the excitement was understandable.

For me personally, it was more curiosity as to what other countries had sent, and to finally hear this song from Joker Out, our own band that went to compete, because I'd never heard it before as I am musically illiterate when it comes to Eurovision songs prior to the grand final.

And I'll be honest ... it was okay.

But that's about it.

Listen I wouldn't be able to really pick out the song from ten others on the radio right now, which I suppose is good for radio performances, but generally speaking you kind of need a Eurovision song to have at least a little oomph here.

Say, like the Norwegian one. I loved the concept and how true to their roots they were.


Finland ... I'm not sure LOL, I feel like he's an acquired taste, but considering how high he placed I can't even argue too much.

Overall, some of my favourites were Norway, Belgium, France, and I enjoyed the likes of Poland and Israel, but I'm on the fence about Sweden.

Now before I get lynched for this: I love Loreen, okay?

When she won Eurovision the first time with Euphoria, EVERYBODY knew she was going to win, the song was just that good. Tattoo is an okay song and it's very her, but to me it just didn't have the same sort of punch that her previous winner delivered.

... also, is it a coincidence that next year marks the 50th anniversary since ABBA won Eurovision? You know, the other Swedish artists?

I think NOT.


But anyway. I overall really enjoyed the show, there were a lot of call-backs to past ones, but that's also a little bit sad. I mean, I can very easily remember some reference they name-drop, but if you asked me to hum the melody of one song from this year's competition, I'll just struggle and get nowhere.

Heck, the most memorable thing for me is the fact the Princess of Wales accompanied last year's winners on the piano during the opening number!

Yes, yes indeed, Catherine joined the ensemble from Windsor castle in a nice little surprise, looking jaw-droppingly stunning in a royal blue gown and her hair flowing freely down by one shoulder. Is there anything this woman CAN'T do?

UK, you're so lucky she's your future Queen.


And to sum up: it was an amusing show, with lots of guest performances and probably a lot of disappointment by people who didn't place as high as they wanted to. We also learned, courtesy of Graham Norton, one of the hosts, that Luxembourg is apparently returning for the 2024 show, which is exciting since they haven't competed in a while.

But in all honesty, I don't really think this is worth traveling three days from Hawaii for, I'm really sorry. Isn't it just better to save the money and watch live on Youtube in the comfort of your own home?

Just my two cents.

xx
*images not mine

No comments:

Post a Comment