Thursday 28 June 2018

Tome Thursday: A Court of Frost and Starlight


Hello everyone!

So.

I have a confession to make.

This book.

For some reason, it took me FOREVER to sit my ass down and actually read it.

I was super excited when it was announced that there would be more books in the series, and when the novella was released, I was literally climbing up walls with a GIMME GIMME GIMME chorus singing all around.

And then.

Then I stored it, and didn't start reading until very recently. No clue what happened.

But A Court of Frost and Starlight by Sarah J. Maas probably deserved better treatment!

As I've read many of Maas' books, you'll be able to find links to this series, i.e. A Court of Thorns and Roses, at the bottom of this page, as is usual for this type of post.

And now.

To the book itself!

So initially, Maas stated that A Court of Thorns and Roses, A Court of Mist and Fury, and A Court of Wings and Ruin would be a complete trilogy and wouldn't be continued, or perhaps in the future sometime there MIGHT be a continuation.

But SURPRISE.

Not only did we receive news there would be SEVERAL new books (focusing on beloved supporting characters from the original trilogy), but we were given a BRIDGE NOVELLA in May.

And obviously people went up in arms about it.

I've read so many comments about 'what the heck is this' or 'why is it a Christmas book in May' or 'there's no plot why couldn't there be a continuation' that I can just barely keep my eyes in by not rolling them too much.

I mean, come on people. Be thankful the author even gave us anything after the challenges life threw her way!

Me, personally, I loved it. And laughed at a lot of places, but mostly I just loved it to bits.

A Court of Frost and Starlight is all about comemorating the winter solstice, which will be Feyre's first as High Lady of the Night Court. No big deal. We were all born to rule, right?

Ha ha. WRONG.

Feyre's got her hands full with pretty much just trying to run the one house where everyone lives (more or less), but then again, the difference between this and Tamlin's whole 'be my wife and run my household and have my babies' is that here, she CHOOSES to try and keep some organisation in the chaos that their post-war lives entail.

And she's also trying to deal with her own PTSD, which is the main theme for her character in the novella - which is to say, she caves and sets up an art studio for Fae who may have trouble expressing what the war means to them, and so they'll be able to paint it out. Or sculpt it. Or ... you get the idea.

For her part, Feyre does a couple of pieces as well, since, you know, she's a painter, but most important of all she learns something about herself and about what might have happened in the War.

And this is another point of contention for readers - because during the trilogy, Feyre and Rhysand made the decision not to have children until they've lived some of their lives together. That's cool. But in this book, after speaking to a widow who had lost her husband during the fighting, Feyre changes her decision because she wants to be able to have a piece of Rhysand with her.

Because, you know, he kind of died at the end of ACOWAR

And even though he was brought back from the dead, Feyre remembers the shock and grief and emptiness, and she doesn't want to feel that way again.

Is it moot point since Rhys is alive anyway? Maybe. But for me, I think it's just something that she came to as a realisation because it COULD happen in the future - since the future isn't really all that stable right now either way. There might be more battles. There might be more turmoil. And while she might be going back on her initial decision pretty fast, Feyre makes this choice ON HER OWN WITHOUT BEING FORCED INTO IT, and that's the most important part.

Meanwhile, Rhysand is dealing with a host of other problems, with the Ilyrian warbands that are apparently slowly brewing into a rebellion he doesn't want or need, having to deal with Mor's family coming to Velaris as part of a deal he made to secure their alliance during the War, and he pays Tamlin a visit.

Yep, we get to see Tamlin again.

And he's not a pretty sight.

Tamlin is hitting rock-bottom, and Rhysand isn't really helping him that much, although he DOES repent in the end (with a helpful suggestion/kick from Lucien) and goes to make sure his nemesis is still alive, securing guards for his borders in the Summer Court.

It's handy to have Varian, Prince of Adriata, hanging around as much as he does - then again, it's also hilarious how everyone wants to tease Amren about it but they respectively don't because ... SHE STILL SCARY AS F, PEOPLE.

Anyway, Rhysand gifts Feyre with a property where she can build the house of their dreams, or they'll build it together, to ensure EVERYONE has enough space and freedom to move. She gifts him with the promise of a child. HEA.

We also touch on some of Mor's dilemmas, her memories of what her family had done to her after she refused to bend to their traditions (and hopefully we're angling for an Eris redemption arc with this!), Elain slowly becoming more and more like her usual self, although I'm trying not to shake her because she doesn't seem to want to give Lucien a chance.

Sure, ok, I get it, you don't want to HAVE to do something because of a bond. But you ain't going back to your mortal ex-fiancé, girl, so you might as well consider your options.

Even if Azriel is also a fine choice. But I'm not sure how this is going to go.

Still, Lucien is behaving remarkably well in comparison and doesn't demand anything; in fact, he's kind of living with Vassa and Jurian, as they're all sort of exiles. Not that I totally get the reasons, since the solitude seems self-imposed on these people, or maybe it's just because we only saw one perspective. I'm itching to see more in any event!

And then of course, Cassian and Nesta.

Cassian has his own demons with regards to the Ilyrians to fight, and also, well, he and Nesta have apparently regressed since the little moment at the end of ACOWAR. Which I don't get either, but, you know.

And Nesta is hitting rock bottom, too, as seen in the preview for the next book right at the end of ACOFAS.

Namely, she's dealing with PTSD and her new-found life in way of drinking/having sex/rinse and repeat style. In her words, she wants to experience this life before she works for Rhysand and the group, although colour me wrong, but wasn't she appointed emmisary to the human lands in the third book?

In any event. A massive point of contention is also the whole Nesta debacle.

I'll admit that I don't really like Nesta's character. She rubs me the wrong way and makes me clamp my jaw so tight my teeth want to break. That's mostly because half the time I don't get why she SITS AND DOES NOTHING. As the oldest sister of the Acheron family, it would have been her duty to care for the younger ones. And later on she's like 'la di da who cares if everyone dies when I could save them, I'll just sit here'. 

It's been argued that Nesta's feelings run deep, and that she's not built for certain things, like hunting and whatnot, but damn it all to hell she should at least WANT TO SURVIVE. I say this as an older sister my self. Like HELL am I letting my younger one do dangerous stuff when I can do something, too.

And while I get that she's suffering, Feyre and the rest of them have tried, time and time again, to help her, which she refused. This I also get - you need to want to help yourself to accept help from others. But I don't understand why she's SO SURPRISED AND INSULTED when she isn't the recipient of certain things or the centre of attention. Like, girl, you PUT YOURSELF IN THIS POSITION. Don't blame everyone else for it!

People argue that sending Nesta to the Ilyrian mountains with Cassian is kicking her out - which it is. But this kicking-out I like. She won't be alone, she'll be removed from her vices so she'll have time to reflect, and it gives us some time to explore the potential of a relationship between her and Cassian.

Plus, anyone of the family can come check on her any time, no problem.

So I really see this as the ultimate, last stand the family can take: obviously, they can't really help her in any way they can figure out, so it's time for drastic measures in a controlled environment with help a second away.

I'm down with that.

Nesta needs to deal with stuff, and I'm ALL for it. I get PTSD, I get depression, I get suffering - but at some point in time, someone has to say enough, and do something.

And by the Bathtub, if she doesn't come out of this more willing to be an actual family member, I might actually break all my teeth and my jaw.

xx
*image not mine


No comments:

Post a Comment