Thursday 21 December 2017

Tome Thursday: Wishing on a Star


Hello everyone!

It'll be after Christmas when I write for this blog again, so I figured I'd pick an extra special Christmas story to write about in this one, because why else would I even put in the effort? Plus, considering I find it as amazing as the previous books that came before this short-short story, well, I couldn't resist.

If you haven't yet realized, I'm talking about another wonderful read from under the pen (or keyboard) of Serenity Woods.

I have to say that, as far as contemporary authors go, I may have found my absolute favourite in terms of realistic, down-to-Earth and drama-free characters, and pretty amazing storylines as far as everything goes!

The one I'm currently talking about, or will be as soon as I stop babbling in this intro (and keeping a gimlet eye on my Kobo e-reader at the same time) is Wishing on a Star, which is a special short story in the Three Wise Men universe, only available to Ms Woods' subscribers, but it's just too cute not to write about!

As I said, it's in the Three Wise Men universe, so as you know by now, all links to my previous Christmas-related book reviews (including the three preceeding this one) can be found at the bottom of this page.

Long story short, however: 12 years after the events in the original trilogy, Summer, Charlie King's step-daughter who suffers from Cystic Fibrosis, is on her way to the Christmas Ball. 

She'll be going off to Auckland University in the new school year, so this is a definitive time for her, but also we get to see some more of Charlie (and his brothers, because where one goes the other two are sure to follow - I wonder if their wives devised a complete strategy of getting rid of them for a weekend or so just to have some peace and quiet!).

Charlie, as Summer notices, has aged rather well, and it does seem he and Dylan, Summer's bilogical father, have a cordial relationship now which means things are pretty good really.

And she's now heading to a school dance to just unwind a little bit, laughing at Charlie's jokes and promising that she'll call him if she needs a ride before midnight.

Then she's off to dance and just enjoy! Her best friend Fliss is also there and they have fun together until Summer needs a bit more fresh air than what you can find inside the hall, so she slips out into the warm evening.

Note: New Zealand Christmas is spent at BBQs and at the beach, which boggles the mind but hey, I could probably learn to live with it if I ever got the chance!

Anyway, the point here being that Summer isn't alone for long - she's soon joined by a handsome young man named Zach, who's a few years older than her and already employed at a big tech company. Also, he spotted Summer during a swimming competition a while ago and has wanted to chat with her since.

Since this is also a dance, they dance, under the fairy lights strung over the trees, until Zach notices they have an audience.

And OH. MY. GOD. Can I just say the scene with the three Kings trying not to look like they were TOTALLY eyeballing the kid to make sure he doesn't do anything to Summer they'd disapprove of was enough to almost send me rolling off my bed, crying big fat tears of laughter.

Only these three. Only them.

Summer introduces Zach to her step-dad and uncles (and here I'd like to note that I would have LOVED to hear a bit more about Matt and Brock too, but then considering they're still going to endorsement dinners for their charity and business, I'd say their billions are growing), and they exchange phone numbers. And a kiss.

Summer and Zach, not anyone else, obviously.

Packing herself into he car with the Three Wise Men, Summer is gently teased and then serenaded while she gets a message from Zach that he'll definitely be calling her.

And now I'm itching for an actual, full-length book about these two! Because come ON, this was the sweetest Christmas romance I may have ever read, and that's saying something considering I love everything else penned by Serenity Woods.

If you're not yet a subscriber, I highly recommend doing so - as opposed to several other subscriptions, this one will only fly an email your way when there's something relevant to know about, a competition, or maybe goodies like this short story. And as I've said before, if you've yet to read anything by Serenity Woods, you could probably start now with her Three Wise Men series. If you're not hooked on New Zealand and her stories afterwards, then you have a heart of stone.

I leave you the little ditty of our favourite three brothers trying to look perfectly innocent to convince you to check it out.

“It’s nearly midnight,” Zach said a long while later. “And there are three guys hovering over there in tuxes who look too old to have gone to the ball. Is one of them your dad?”
She glanced over her shoulder to see Charlie, Brock, and Matt standing in front of the car, all now facing the other way and discussing something very important that appeared to be on the other side of the road.
“It’s my step-dad and his brothers,” she said, lips curving up. “He’s a sweetie.”

Merry Christmas!

xx
*image not mine

No comments:

Post a Comment