Tuesday 7 June 2016

Game of Thrones: The Broken Man

"I am a Stark. I will always be a Stark."


Hello everyone!

Back with this week's recap of the latest Game of Thrones episode, and, BOY, are things heating up the closer we get to the finale! 

Which, I just realized ...

Guys.

GUYS.

There are only three episodes left in this season!

Where did the time go?!

It feels like just last week we were all jammng along loudly to our favourite opening tune to any show when it returned to television for this run, and now here we are, entering the final stretch with only episodes eight, nine and ten left!

And if it'll be anything like previous seasons, I'm thinking episode nine is one to watch.

But we're not there yet, so let's see what happened during this week's drama-filled hour, shall we?

Contrary to some episodes we've sen in the season so far, this one was low on locations and a bit more on what, precisely, is going on at each of these, which I was rather fond of. Don't get me wrong, I love it when we globe-hop and run around checking up on each and every character there is, but sometimes it's kind of nice to slow down, take a breather, and watch what's happening for longer than two minutes straight.

Starting off with Braavos, things with Arya are finally starting to move in a different direction, although I'm not entirely sure I understand her motivation for trying to return home. I mean ... I get she might be homesick, that she thinks she knows more now than she did before and can go down her list of victims faster, but ... still.

Okay, I'll also admit that I haven't been Arya's biggest fan, not in the books, not in this show. I just don't see much appeal in her plotline.

Colour me unsurprised that, right after booking passage to Westeros, she gets herself stabbed, in a bad way, and is currently leaking all over the city.

It's the Stark way.

Contrary to what she's up to, Yara and Theon are in Volantis, enjoying the land before they set sail for Meereen and try to strike a bargain with the 'Dragon Queen'. This indicates that the showrunners have decided to adapt a plot which in the book was caried out by their uncle Victarion. I'm kind of bummed that he, of all characters, got cut out of production. He's my favourite Ironborn. But oh well, least he doesn't have to die!


Meanwhile, back in Westeros, things are heating up in King's Landing. Like, in a dangerous way. The High Sparrow (may one of the Seven soon decide he's too obnoxious for his own good, please) drops hints that he might go after Olenna next, causing Margaery to convince her grandmother to leave.

And in the process, she proves what I've been thinking all along: she's just playing the fool of a priest, because the drawn rose she sneaked into her grandmother's hand says it all.

She is, and will always be, a Tyrell.

Growing Strong, indeed.

Moving further away from the capital, we meet up with an old (and fan) favourite: Sandor Clegane, aka the Hound! Who survived Brienne and is currently happily working away like a normal guy, until the Brotherhood Without Banners comes in and slaughters the Septon and his followers the Hound was cosying up with.

If the axe he picked up just as the shot panned out is any indication, there will be blood. And liberal amounts of it.


That's not what I was most excited about this week, though: the Blackfish is back!

nd he means business.

The Freys have laid siege to Riverrun, to no apparent success (I think Tobias Menzies should channel some more Black Jack Randall into Edmure Tully; but how sad is it that when they threatened to hang him, I was all GET YOUR PAWS OFF!), when Jaime and Bronn arrive. Honestly, I would have suffered through a much worse season just to see old Bryden Tully give Jaime his two cents about the situation. 

"As long as I am standing, the war is NOT over." The man is badass. Incidentally, I think Jaime said something very similar to his nephew back in ... season four, I think.


Finally, however, the race to chop off Ramsay Bolton's head is on, as Jon, Sansa and Davos strive to secure the allegiance of the smaller houses who have not yet declared, officially, for the Boltons, besides the wildlings they have already won to their side. It's painfully obvious neither Jon nor Sansa are or ever will be honey-tongued politicians, but luckily Ser Davos is there to save the day, which results in them gaining some soldiers, but still not having nearly enough to beat the Boltons. Result? Sansa is seen writing a letter, which we can only presume is an SOS call to one Lord Baelish, probably still lurking around somewhere just waiting to swoop in and prove that he's fighting for the right side this time.

Well, or for himself, really, but what's the difference? As long as he's going to come back his girl up, I don't really care much.

This episode, while notably lacking in action in general, is only one step shy from the true race to the finale, however, and I did enjoy all the machinations going on. I'm quite interested to see what happens next, and I will honestly say this show's made me bloodthirsty. I'm baying for Ramsay and the High Sparrow's blood!

xx
*images not mine

No comments:

Post a Comment