Tuesday 29 March 2016

Talkie Tuesday: Flatley's Lord of the Dance


Hello everyone!

I hope you all had fun over this holiday weekend (and that the Easter Bunny left you lots of chocolates to devour later)! 

I'm back with blogging this week and of course, the first thing I'm going to do is the one blog post that escaped me seven days ago because of everything that's currently happening around the world (let's be honest and say that everything's important, becaise it IS). Of course I have movies lined up to watch (as I always do), but I get distracted by TV shows, or in this case, with something random I happen to see and want to take a closer look at.

In this case, I'm looking at Irish dancing.

I have been a sort of fan of this for a while now, because every once in a while, the name Michael Flatley appears in our capital city of Ljubljana, because he and his tour group make a pit stop here to perform. Unfortunately, however, I never got to see it live.

So luckily for me, I had the chance to at least watch it instead of a movie one night!

I somehow managed to find a copy of Flatley's Lord of the Dance: Dangerous Games from 2014, and it was filmed at the Londom Palladium, which in my opinion is quite a spectacular location.


But I digress.

The story in itself is fairly simple: the dreamscape that the 'good guys' or the light side of the Force, whatever you want to call them, dance in is threatened by the Dark Lord, who thinks that, because the Lord of the Dance (the good lord, Jedi Master, etc) isn't Flatley anymore, he's a pretender and therefore weak. So he's going to try and turn everything into a nightmare with his minions, because that's what dark lords do in their free time.


We then get to see sections of the dance unfold as we meet all the central characters, meaning the Lord of the Dance (in this version played by James Keegan), the light princess, or Odette as I like to call her, the Dark Lord with his soldiers who pretty much sets fire to everything because he can, and the dark princess, my Odile.

The rest of the ensemble is, for the story itself, the supporting cast, though obviously they are the main body of the dancers, and whenever they all get together to smack their heels on the stage, it's fabulous!


The story progresses through how the Dark Lord wants to get the LotD's belt, which gives him his powers, and while our LotD is being seduced by Odette - well okay no, he falls for this girl, as per the obvious reasons - Darkie is plotting his downfall.

How will he accomplish that do you ask?

Why, with Odile of course! Because you know the poor guy is going to turn his head after anything female that can click her heels together in this show.

So, obviously what she does is seduce him, steals the belt, gives it to Darkie, who then goes on to eliminate LotD once and for all ... only, it doesn't happen because the sprite who plays the flute manages to save him, and then the two duke it out on stag in a fantastic display of leg kicking (my mom actually thought they were doing it for real).

The light side of the Force wins, and everyone dances it out happily to bring Michael Flatley on stage for the finale, during which the whole ensemble takes a bow, and dances the chorus dance for our entertainment.


I loved the whole thing. Then again I enjoy watching dance shows so this wasn't too much of a surprise. And also, a very good friend of mine is going to laugh so bad after reading this becaue she knows it's true, but the male lead? Yeah, he's nice to look at. I can admit that much. I AM human, after all! I think it's the eyes ... for some reason, it's blue eyes, every time. So unfair haha! 

In any event, however, it has been recommended to me, by this same friend, who coincidentally dances this thing (which I am seriously impressed by, because, THOSE KICKS AND FLICKS) that I should watch the rest of Flatley's dancing series, so that's my mission now. Because these are amazing.

If you're ever super bored, want to watch some great dancing, and have an hour or two to spare ... watch this. You won't regret it.

xx
*images and video not mine


No comments:

Post a Comment