Tuesday 30 June 2015

Talkie Tuesday: Game of Thrones


Hello everyone!
So it's been ages, or so I feel, since I've last seen an actual movie and talked about it in Tuesday's segment, but I can't help it! There's just SO MUCH going on with TV shows I'm catching up to, it's ridiculous. I mean, I'm still working my way through the Tudors, then there were some others I haven't been able to see yet, and certain ones have just started their summer run (I'm looking at you, Teen Wolf). 

How am I supposed to watch movies then?!  

I don't, I suppose. And I would like to point out at this particular line of the blog that anyone who hasn't yet seen the last season of Game of Thrones should probably stop reading right about now. And I mean it, because there are going to be spoilers, and I don't want you all to come barging and being all WE HAVEN'T WATCHED IT YET.

Go watch it, then come back, and we can discuss!

So season five is a bit different from the books because, at this point, the books are at a stale-mate and waiting for the sixth installment, whereas the show has moved a little bit beyond the initial storyline in some cases, and changed them entirely in the rest. I have to say I enjoyed it however, and as much of a purist as I am, I'm definitely looking forward to the surprises coming in season six. Season five had a bunch of them already, but I'm thinking season six will be a kicker!


This review and recap is going to be sectioned off according to the geographical situation of our characters, and not per characters, since I figure it might be easier this way.

KING'S LANDING saw a lot of rather stupid decisions this seasons and also some much-deserved kicks in the ass as far as I'm concerned. Margaery Tyrell has marrid Tommen Baratheon Lannister, and their marriage seems to be off on a happy start. In a different corner, mama lion Cersei is really starting to show her signs of madness and paranoia, considering she wouldn't be happy even if she herself was married to her own son. On top of it all, she allows the Sparrows, a very religous, very radical sekt, into the capital, which backfires when they arrest her as well as Margaery (this one on her orders) and she's forced to do a walk of shame naked down the streets. She doesn't include the King in the council, and her own uncle plainly states that she's a lunatic, pretty much.


WINTERFELL has been abandoned for a lot of the seasons after the first one, but by this point the Boltons (may the Old Gods curse them) reign supreme, and Ramsay needs to secure the North. Petyr Baelish has the perfect solution: his marriage to Sansa Stark. This is a deviation from the book where Sansa remains in the Vale and a minor character (Jeyne) is married off under the name of Arya. Needless to say, this is NOT a love match, and Sansa probably regrets not taking Brienne of Tarth up on her offer to keep her safe. As Stannis Baratheon advances on Winterfell with his beleguered forces, Sansa and Theon jump off the battlements into the snow below. More to be seen in season six. And until I see Stannis' body I don't believe it.

BRAAVOS was a bit of a downer this season even though I expected a bit more, considering, but at least Ayra got a wardrobe change and her storyline is pretty much following the book one. We'll see how well she does blind in season six.


MEEREEN is a so-so thing. Much better than in the books, still a disappointment considering Dany should really, REALLY get her butt in gear and do some better stuff than sit there passing judgment. Not to mention, she may have to just save her life more often than not now, what with the Sons of the Harpy openly against her and baying for blood after she distributed justice the people didn't like (when is justice EVER liked?), but Drogon was there to save the day. Now she has to face off with a khalasar, basically back where she started off, while Tyrion Lannister, who she had NOT beheaded, needs to rule over Meereen in her stead. Party, anyone? We'll need a lot of wine for this.

THE WALL was probably the biggest OMG moment for everyone this season, but then again it wasn't so much to me. Been there, done the book throwing, so Jon Snow wasn't a surprise. It was a downer, yes, but did everyone see his eyes as the camera zoomed in? It might have something to do with light and him dying and all, or it might be that he might just survive. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for this. Besides, no one in the Night's Watch knows anything; instead of prepping for battle against the White Walkers and the zombie kids, they're killing each other. At least Sam and Gilly managed to get out before it all started.

DORNE was a major yes, because I love the actor they picked for the prince, and Jamie and Bronn are hilarious. Elaria is an idiot though, and I'm sorry for Myrcella, but at least there's action and movement and we'll get to see more of it by the time season six rolls around, I think.


All in all, it was a very satisfying season, not boring like season four was on moments, and I'm looking forward to the third!

What did you think about it? Shout out in the comments below!

xx
*images not mine

No comments:

Post a Comment