Tuesday 17 February 2015

Talkie Tuesday: I Love You, Man


Hello everyone!

I hope you all had a good weekend, and to those of you who celebrate it (because some people do boycott the whole thing), hope you had a fantastic Valentine's Day! Me, personally, I've never understood the holiday, thinking it's overrated, but then again, I might change my mind if/when I actually have someone to celebrate it with! As far as that goes, this year's was coupled with Mardi Gras celebrations here as well, so what happened was that our doorbell was turned off, since my family and Mardi Gras (meaning the whole costumes thing) don't mesh well. At all. So my situation went something like this: my sister came home for the weekend, our parents were off for a Dalmatia-themed night at a local restaurant, and we hit McDonald's to grab some food, camped out in our living room in front of the big screen TV, and put on a movie. 

We wanted to watch The Wedding Ringer initially, but that didn't quite work out so we settled for a different one, titled I Love You, Man, which neither of us had seen before, but was titled as a comedie and we both felt like something comedic/action packed would work for the night. 
Image not mine

The movie is a lot like The Wedding Ringer in the sense that it's about a guy who doesn't really have any friends, but he's getting married and is kind of desperate to get some so he has groomsmen, and a best man, too. Peter is unfortunately impaired in social skills (by a lot), and this resulted in a whole lot of 'Oh my God' moments between my sister and myself while we watched the thing. General consensus: it became pretty clear just why, exactly, he couldn't have a friend or hold on to one.


Peter is a real estate agent, and for most of the movie he tries selling Lou Ferrigno's mansion, to limited success at the beginning and as the story progresses, we see just how and what goes down with that. At open house, though, he meets Sydney - who is an instantly likeable character because he's just so NORMAL in the sense that he's open, he talks, and he just doesn't really care much about the uptight society.

Unlikely becoming likely, the two form a bond, and start hanging out, which leads to some hilarious scenes and a whole lot more of OMG moments, and then clashes with the fiancée, of course. Zooey is one of those understanding women who will support her man in his quest for a best friend and all, but you can only take it so far. I had my eyes closed and my sister giving me a play-by-play at some moments, being all 'oh my God he just turned his back on her!' or something of the sort.

And trust me, if you watch the movie, you'll know why I cringed and hid my head and she kept doing that.

It's a solid movie with a whole lot of awkward in it, but the ending is sweet and Jason Segel plays Sydney, so that makes up for a whole lot of it. It was an enjoyable evening for me but, really ... the situations Peter got himself into, from being confused for a homosexual to having his face stapled onto huge billboards across town!

Have you seen the movie? What did you think?

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment