Tuesday 6 October 2015

Talkie Tuesday: Jurassic World

"If something chases you ... run!"


Hello everyone!

My keyboard is completely acting up so if I'm suddenly missing letters here and there I assure you it's not on purpose. I've been having to double-check everything I type, everywhere. I think I type too much ... oops? 

Anyway.

I'm back with a movie blog!

This week, I managed to pretty much dangle a carrot in front of my parent's faces and offered to have a movie night with them. Surprisingly enough, despite the varied tastes of movies in our family, Jurassic Park remains a favourite, so naturally, the sequel was something I couldn't resist. And since I did remember my dad saying something about wanting to watch it, it was a no brainer to wait until we could all get together.

Well, okay, only my mom and I ended up watching the first time since dad had hockey to play, but I'm pretty sure the big screen TV in the living room will be seeing Indominus Rex run around in Jurassic World again soon!

So alright, I'll fess up.


I was STOKED when the Jurassic World movie was announced.

I did mention I love Jurassic Park, right? Not to mention the sequels, although yes, the first one is still the best of the lot. It just ... is.

So Jurassic World was something I was sitting on the edge of my seat for. As the details were slowly unveiled and the first trailer hit, my first reaction was ...

This will be Deep Blue Sea all over again (I was happily proved not: it was BETTER).

A recollection: in DBS, scientists genetically change shark DNA, and then the shark gets extra smart and breaks out, eating them all. In Jurassic World, scientists create a genetic hybrid, Indominus Rex - and you know nothing can hold in a big, bad dino.

But anyway.


I was still stoked and wished I could have gone to theatres to see it, but unfortunately it didn't work out, so it had to wait. And I am not ashamed to admit that when the movie shows the park gates opening for the first time, I wanted to cry.

The story goes: that on Isla Nublar, the original park from twenty some years ago has been expanded and has been open for a decade now, but they need something new and big, so Indominus is created. Claire, the park manager, needs Owen, a military guy, to check the enclosure and see if it's safe. We garner that the two have a history (of precisely one date) and chemistry, and then the next thing is that the new dino is super smart. Not only did she fake claw marks on the wall to make them think she escaped, but she's managed to hide her temperature so it looks like she isn't inside ... when she really is, the the silly humans open the doors for her.


Did I mention she's a she? Females of ANY specie are always more dangerous.

Anyway, Indominus is out and on a rampage, and Owen wants it to be put down, but that's a no, and then InGen wants him to go after her with his raptors. Because, cue bing, the man has been training those dinos that spent a large amount of movie one chasing everyone around the island.

Ahem.


Claire's nephews are also visiting, so she's obviously frightened for them, and off she and Owen are to track the imps down. Said imps are on the run from the big bad dino, in the process, and they end up ... drumroll please.

The old visitor's center!

I swear I was squealing and jumping up and down like a maniac when that was shown, and the old jeeps, and everything. Like. A. Maniac.

But the Indominus is problem number one as she goes to the aviary and releases the pterodactyls, and then hellooooo, chow time, as the birds of prey - literally - start on the buffet. This is where we also find out and admire Claire who has traipsed through the jungle in stiletto heels and still manages to look semi-ok while shooting one of these bird dinos off Owen, earning herself a kiss.


By now, the situation has escalated badly, and InGen wants the raptors, so Owen goes out with them - and connects some dots. Why didn't the lab tell them what the dinosaur was made of?

Because she's part raptor. And the raptors have a new Alpha now.

More duh-ing from me as it all boils down to the final show in the new visitor's center where one of the nephews gives Claire an idea. And I have to transcribe this conversation.

Mom: Where's she going?
Me: I think ... yeah, for the one dinosaur we haven't seen eat anyone yet.
Mom: Huh?
Me: Who hasn't done any killing in this movie??
Mom: REXI!

Enter T-Rex, and the best scene from the movie, hands down, as Claire opens the enclosure and unleashes him on the Indominus.


With a little help from the raptors - who, in the end, couldn't kill Owen as he had raised them from hatchlings - and a Mosasaurus, who is one BIGass dino, the new hybrid is ... eaten. The survivors leave the island, although InGen has managed to save most of the hybrid work (and we already know a sequel is confirmed) ...

... and the King of the Jungle roars out in triumph.


Forget about Mufasa, he's the real deal.


All in all, I laughed, I cried, I whooped, I hollered, I cowered, and my mom and I sat there with pillows in our laps with eyes peeled on the screen in front of us. I think if anyone saw us then they'd think we probably lost it. I am as in love with the new take on the dinosaurs as I was with the original one (and Chris Pratt strutting around DOES help, too), and I can't wait for the sequel. I need to wait for YEARS for it though! So I think I'll just have to rewatch this a couple of times.

It's definitely worth it.

xx
*images all screencapped by me, except the poster

No comments:

Post a Comment