Thursday 18 August 2022

Tome Thursday: Love's Misaligning Magic

 
Hello everyone!
 
This week's book of choice for the review is somewhat different from my regulars because it's, one, very short, and two, somehow the middle book of the grouping which I normally don't do if I can help it.
 
I'm slightly pedantic in that I prefer reading even trilogies that CAN have books in them read as standalones in their proper order, but unfortunately for me I couldn't get my hands on the first book, so needed to start with book two.
 
Not to worry, however, because I have PLANS.
 
I will definitely be reading the first book and then figuring out how it all ends once the third releases!
 
Oh and, where did I get the copy of my book, do you ask?
 
So funny you should ask, really.
 
BookSirens, naturally.
 
I made sure to take a few ARC copies with me to vacation when I took off, and this was one of them, so let's jump right in, shall we?
 
 
I do have other witch-related books on this blog, but I won't be linking them because none REALLY fall into the lighthearted category this one belongs to, so it's going to stand on its own until I add things from its sisters.
 
Now, onwards!
 
Our protagonists in this lovely story are Laura and Aaron, who have known one another for a bit, but Laura is very much set in the fact that everyone eventually leaves you, so why should she bother with her growing feelings for the real estate agent?
 
Meanwhile, Aaron is gathering his courage to ask her out, which does NOT go over so well once he eventually does, since she turns him down.
 
She changes her mind afterwards though, but as they're doing their little back-and-forth, they find a seemingly abandoned dog on the porch of one of the houses Aaron's showing Laura, and they embark on the mystery together to figure out who the poor dog belongs to.
 
In the process they discover something else, too: while Aaron's magic is his ability to understand and speak with animals, not just his own familiar, Laura's is to change matter, from something to another ... and it's been misbehaving lately.
 
The only common denominator in her little experiments is ... dun dun dun ... Aaron.
 
Dang it, and JUST when they were getting close, too!
 
With a heavy heart, because he can't take her magic from her, Aaron's the one to hit the breaks on their budding romance, and they focus on the dog and her owner, who's found at the hospital, a little banged up but okay, which at least gives us THAT happy ending!
 
But wait, there's more.
 
Laura does some digging of her own, and eventually decides that Aaron may be worth her magic misbehaving, or maybe they just need time to get used to one another and their magical abilities, as per another magic user in the coven who explains that to Laura.
 
Either way, she wants to dive into the relationship with him and tells him as much, so they attend the solstice celebration together, where things get ... complicated.
 
It's revealed that Aaron's mother - a person who, thus far, was proven to be completely without magic, but who's been feeling weird for some time - is apparently showing signs of VERY chaotic magic, that's affecting everyone around her.
 
So now her kids need to solve this before it gets worse, for them AND their witchy partners, so buckle up, because it's going to be an interesting ride to say the least!
 
I was intrigued by the colourful covers, I'll admit xD but I stayed for the story!

I really, really liked it, because it's a super easy, enjoyable, non complicated read you can sit through in one go AND thoroughly amuse yourself.

I loved seeing Laura and Aaron try to make things work, and was feeling very emotional when both decided they would hit pause or even stop so Laura's magic wouldn't be the consequence of it all. HOWEVER I'm super happy with the resolution and now definitely intrigued enough to read both the first and the third book in this!

The writing style is easy to read and get into, the subplot with the lost dog is adorable, and overall this is just the kind of light, summery romance you need on the beach, or maybe for an autumn's rainy day.

I think the only thing I might have changed was that it was so short!

I absolutely recommend, both this book and by extension the entire series.
 
xx
*image not mine

No comments:

Post a Comment