Thursday 21 July 2016

Tome Thursday: Screwdrivered


Hello everyone!

Okay so I'm definitely trying to be better with the whole keeping up with a series thing, not that it's working in entirety. I still have a couple to finish and some blog posts just waiting to be typed up from the scraps of paper I saved my thoughts on earlier.

I think I'm getting much better in the long run, but it's still a far cry from being completely current since I'm STILL going through my backlog of books that I saved even as long as a year ago.

Sadly, I have issues. These include, but are not limited to being unable to focus on any one series at a time, instead going through them like I want to gobble everything up at once.

I'm not joking.

But that being said, it's not THAT long since I posted the last review I did about one of Alice Clayton's books, so I'm thinking it's a much better result than anyone would have anticipated. After all, I didn't take the full six months which I did between one and two!

That's a victory, right?

So without further ado, let's get into Screwdrivered.

I'll let you in on a little secret: I only figured out the titles of the books were names of Cocktails after reading this story.


I know, I'm super lame. I mean the whole SERIES is titled 'Cocktails', yet here I am, as clueless as ever. Probably because I do not, and probably will not ever, be as knowledgable about cocktail drinks as I am with other areas that interest me.

In any case, however, it took me two books and a half until a character in this one says she needs the drink, not the tool, to be given to her in the morning.

Yeah, yeah.

Anyway.

In book two, Rusty Nailed, we meet up with Simon's old classmate, Vivian, and she's the focal point of this current book. She's ridiculously smart with numbers and whatnot, curtesy of good genes, and has her own online company (is it an online one?) which she is quite successful with. She has a good family (of equally successful people) but then all of a sudden, in the middle of the night, she gets a call from a lawyer telling her that her great aunt Maude had passed away, leaving her an old house.

What does our lady do?

She goes there, obviously.

Now one thing we learn quickly about Vivian is that she is a HUGE fan of romance novels. Gothic ones, too. The more wrangled up, the better.

She also, actually, believes that she is IN  aromance novel.

Yep, you read that right.

Which becomes incredibly painful and silly to read as the book continues unfolding, but we'll get there. First, let's move our heroine to California.

So she comes to the old house, which is falling apart, and is full with items her aunt collected that are there en masse - she has to both redo the house AND declutter. 

Enter hero: Clark, the librarian, also president of the historical society without whose permission she can't do anything with the house, no matter there are holes in the roof. Can we hear Taylor Swift's Sparks Fly yet?

But wait!

There's this cowboy, Hank, who rides around shirtless and like you wouldn't believe gorgeous, who speaks in grunts and seemingly ignores Vivian.

See what I mean about romance novel?

She convinces herself she needs to get together with Hank, while flirting and having incredible chemistry with Clark; going home, she sells her company to her father after who knows how long of persuasion, and decides to relocate on a permanent basis, having some old friends stop by to help (aka Simon and Caroline and a few other favourites).

And there are late night phone calls.

Not with Hank, obviously.

But then coming back, when things start looking up with Clark, she STILL wants to go after Hank!

I wanted to shriek in frustration, because it nearly costs her Clark, who is a genuinely good guy with a grudge against Hanks because the guy used to bully him back in high school and whatnot.

Luckily, she comes to her senses and figures out Hank is just a cowboy (not even a good one, either) and ends up breaking the balustrade in the house with Clark because ... yes, dot, dot, dot.

Got you, didn't I?

Things settle from there and develop quicly enough since Vivian becomes pregnant with Clark's child fairly fast, and he proposes (after fainting though).

We will see more of them later on in the books, as well!

Aside from V being completely idiotic with that romance novel and Hank thing, it was yet another hilarious Alice Clayton book which I enjoyed as a summer read last year. This year I'm going through the Hudson Valley series, and Cream of the Crop just came out! You can expect more reviews on the topic, right here.

xx
*image not mine

No comments:

Post a Comment