Tuesday 20 January 2015

Talkie Tuesday: A Princess for Christmas


Hello everyone!

So last week, if anyone is actually reading this, I talked about Outlander, and the stars that have claimed our attention there as Jamie Fraser and Claire Beauchamp. What I didn't mention was that I'd had this strong feeling that I had already seen Sam Heughan before, somewhere, only I couldn't remember where that was! That's an irritating thing which sometimes happen to me: I see a celebrity in a show or a movie, and I'm sure I've seen them before, but my memory doesn't supply any additional information until after I've poked it a bit.

Which means I was a little bit embarrassed after I hunted over the world wide web to figure out just where I'd seen Sam before, and realized I had watched a very family-oriented, adorable Christmas movie a while ago, titled A Princess for Christmas, in which Sam plays the prince.

Cue face-palm.

So, in honour of our Highlander, I sat down to rewatch the movie!

I remembered that I'd initially watched it for Katie McGrath, whom I had really enjoyed as Morgana on the TV show Merlin, even if I was a bit weirded out by her American accent in this one. She should just be British, in my mind, but then again, kuddos to her for getting it!


The movie starts with an antique shop and a voice-over by someone telling the story of Jules Daly, who is a young woman with custody over her sister's children, Maddie and Milo. Her sister and her brother-in-law had passed away, leaving the trio devastated. What the children don't know is that their father had once been a prince - but he had been cast out by his father because he had fallen in love with an American, and a commoner, leaving the life of privilege behind. Jules and the kids get a visit from the royalty butler, who invites them all to spend Christmas at Castlebury - the family's ancient home.

After losing her job, learning that Milo had been shop-lifting and dealing with Maddie's sweet-tooth, Jules feels like some connection to their parents would benefit the children, and accepts after initially declining the invitation. The narrative then takes us to a wintry castle where Sir Roger Moore is in attendance, and I half-expected him to introduce himself with 'Bond, James Bond'. He's a bit of a grouch at the beginning though, but then ... he's all alone most of the time. I'd be too.



Shortly after their arrival, Jules meets Ashton (our Sam), who turns out to be the younger brother of her deceased brother-in-law, and by that point we can probably all know where this is going, but that's okay.

The movie is fluffy and full of holiday cheer; the children and Jules teach one member of the castle inhabitants after the other the meaning of Christmas, winning them over to their side. Of course there's also a snobbish girlfriend in the way, but we do get to see Ashton rocking out some fierce dance moves while teaching Jules how to waltz (Sir Roger, or his character, had by then decided to throw a Christmas ball). Unfortunately, there has to be a down point of course, and a misinterpreted conversation leaves Jules taking off, with the staff hot on her heels and a dress they'd bought for her with them. Ashton and Jules get to waltz, the girlfriend gets to stomp off, and santa Claus gets caught in the act of placing presents under the tree.

Best part? A flash-forward to the wedding of Ashton and Jules, and some more Sam Heughan!

None of the pictures are mine

He doesn't have the signature scruffy looks which Jamie sports, but he's still pretty nice to look at, and the movie as a whole is one that a family shouldn't miss when Christmas rolls around. It doesn't really have any mystery, or far-reaching consequences, but it has cute character moments, bonding (like Ashton and Milo do in Milo's father's room, which had been locked up, or doing archery together), and a good laugh all around.

Also, Sir Roger Moore as a kind-hearted grandfather who lets you pick electric guitar for private tutoring? Awesome!

Have any of you seen A Princess for Christmas? If yes, what did you think?

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment