Tuesday 14 August 2018

Talkie Tuesday: Rampage

"Holy shit!"


Hello everyone!

Guess who's back, back again. 

Anddd I think I'll leave the singing with that haha. But yes, I'm back! I acually got back last week but figured I could probably take a few more days just to get everything sorted, and by now I feel like I'm not treading water anymore but actually bought some water skis so I can cruise across it.

You know what I mean!

I've also managed to watch a few movies while I was away (this after finishing Lucifer season two with my mother who is now OBSESSED with the fallen angel; thank you, Tom Ellis). This one, however, actually went through my viewing during my Dwayne Johson-watch list before I left, but I figured I could save it up for post-vacation.

I still need to see his Skyscraper, and I'm looking forward to it. I feel like the Rock's career has literally skyrocketed in the 2000s.

So for tonight, let's talk about something big. Let's talk Rampage.

Rampage is probably the last on my Rock list of movies (see what I did there) in this newer stint of his, following Baywatch, Jumanji 2 and some others I may have reviewed on here already. That's until I see Skyscraper of course, and I watched this Youtube view of the Rock reading some comments about it on IGN.

Suffice to say, I think I'm going to love it.

Now on to THIS particular movie, which was actually billed as an action flick but somehow managed to also be funny as all get-out, between the Rock deadpanning a hell of a lot of statement and Jeffrey Dean Morgan talking to a rodent.

This actually happened, I'm not making it up.

Let me tell you how the story goes.


There's this company, Energyne, that's running some tests in space with a pathogen, and the fact they're running them in space should cause major alarms to sound all around the globe. Especially as this astronaut (the last one standing, mind you) is attacked by a GIANT ASS RAT.

She doesn't make it. Three containers with the pathogen, however, do, but unfortunately they either explode on impact or get snatched up by unsuspecting animals.

Which is how we run into Davis, who's in charge of the primates at the San Diego zoo, and has a notably warm relationship with albino gorilla George, whom he rescued from poachers when George was still very young. This relationship, mind you, includes George giving Davis the finger and effectively communicating with gestures.

But things start going sour when Davis gets to work one day (this is post the pathogen crash) and one of his coworkers takes him to George, who managed not only to end up in the grizzly enclosure (grizzlies didn't make it, unfortunately) but to grow overnight.


And when he keeps on growing, and a former doctor from Energyne, Kate, comes to try and explain things and potentially to help him, George's aggression gets the better of him and even Davis can barely control him.

Which is when Morgan's character Russell comes in to sedate and cart George away, although putting a massive gorilla on a plane probably wasn't his best call.

Meanwhile, the boss wants to get the pathogen from one of the infected animals, and sends a team under Manganiello to grab the big ass wolf running around. Unfortunately for Joe Manganiello, however, even his good looks don't stop the wolf, so it's time for plan B.

Which includes sending out a low frequency pitch that will annoy the animals so much they'll come to Chicago, where Claire (Energyne CEO, of course) can get the pathogen.

And do you remember where George is at the moment?


Yeah, if you're guess is he pulverizes the plane, you guessed it right.

Russell, Davis and Kate get picked up by the army who have now been sent in to eradicate the wolf and George, but nothing seems to be working, so Kate explains there SHOULD be an antidote back at Energyne labs. And that the animals seem to be heading directly towards Chicago, too.

Trying to beat the clock, especially as a huge crocodile, the third infected animal, makes an appearance, Davis and Kate face off with Claire, who ends up shooting Davis only to end up as lunch for George, with the antidote.

George gets back into his right mind and Davis gets him to help take down the wolf and crocodile before an MOAB airstrike might leave the lot of them dead. Russell is kind of on their side by now so he's there to try slow things down (also getting rid of Claire's brother and getting her pet rat in the process). Still, it's basically up to George and Davis against the other two monsters, so poor Chicago kind of gets levelled.


The duo do manage to kill both the wolf and the crocodile (also, is there anything funnier than the Rock realising the big ass wolf can also fly like one of those weird flying squirrels? I think not!), but George, unfortunately, is also killed in the fight ...

... only to then wake up and give Davis the finger in his own prankster way.

And while he also suggests Davis and Kate should get it on, Russell joins the group to bring some cowboy logic to it, and they all then proceed with helping the people still trapped in the ruins, before they'll try and find a new home for the big George.

The end!

Like, I swear, this movie wasn't suppose to be funny. But it totally was which made it so much better!


I've honestly enjoyed pretty much every modern Dwayne Johnson movie and this one was no exception. Sure the plot with the genetic transformations has been done before, but no one's done it with as much flare as the Rock has!

So in case you need some good old fashioned time-out for your brain and a laugh, not to mention explosives and a lot of cussing and finger-giving, check Rampage out.

I promise you won't regret it.

xx
*images and video not mine


No comments:

Post a Comment