Thursday 19 March 2015

Tome Thursday: The Rescue


Hello everyone!

So as you know, my books of choice are usually connected with either mystery, something historical, or at the moment the Black Dagger Brotherhood series (is anyone else excited for Black Dagger Legacy? Raise your hands!). I'm actually reading a number of books at the moment, namely one by Diana Gabaldon (from her Lord John series, I might do a review on it next week), the book written by Derek Hough, a book about Boudicca ... yes, I have issues. This is what happens when you have an e-reader which allows you to book jump a whole lot! But generally speaking I usually go through one or two books before starting anything new and such.

And from time to time, I also need a break from all the harrowing stuff I read, and then I decide to pick up Danielle Steel, Susan E. Phillips, or Nicholas Sparks.

Yes, Sparks.

Of course I don't pick this last choice often - mainly because his books (and movies) ALWAYS make me cry! But when I do, I just suck it up. My latest choice was 'The Rescue'.

The book tells the story of single mother Denise, who is travelling back from the hospital trying to outrun a storm, with her son Kyle in the backseat. Kyle has problems with speech, it takes him a long time to learn words, and she works with him every day just to teach him to respond to things we think are 'normal' for children. At four years old, he doesn't really say much unless directly asked with a specific question (why and what are okay, how isn't there yet). They get into an accident because of the weather, and are rescued by a firefighter Taylor McAden.


Bells ringing for everyone else by this point?

Taylor discovers that Kyle is missing, apparently having wandered from the car during the time his mother was unconscious, and most of the town turns up to help in the search. Eventually, the boy is found, and this is the bridge that begins connecting Denise and Taylor, as they start hanging out more, he drives her to work, etc. But even so, we already get hints that something doesn't sit well with Taylor, not that the author explains just what it is.

Denise is introduced to Taylor's best friend and his mother, and her relationship with Taylor continues to blossom. Taylor is a volunteer firefighter and responds to calls whenever he's needed, and he tends to put himself into really dangerous situations ... which results in him confiding in Denise a little bit more, even if there are still shadows going on.

This is about 70% into the book, and by now, if you've ever read a Sparks novel, you KNOW something, somewhere, is going to go wrong.

As it happens, we learn Taylor never could keep a relationship before, for some reason, one day the women were there, and the next ... poof. No one quite knows or understands why. So I honestly didn't think this was going to last either, as, when Kyle calls him 'dad', Taylor begins his retreat, which eventually leads to Denise breaking it off with him, for her son's sake since she doesn't want him hurt more.

I thought that big a little anticlimactic to be honest ... and then comes this big fire. In which Taylor's best friend, Mitch, unfortuately dies.

Cue pin drop.

Classic Sparks move, honestly. So in the aftermath, we also learn that Taylor's father died in a fire when Taylor was nine years old, running back into a flaming house to get his son from the attic, so Taylor felt guilty. But he does eventually settle things with Denise, Kyle learns to speak better, and they have a son, Mitch, together.

So yeah. I knew I was getting myself into another emotional ride, because, seriously! But it was nicely written and the characters were much more believable than in some nowaday romances where I want to slap the man and woman silly. I'm planning on reading 'The Best of Me' and 'The Longest Ride' as well soon, before I see the movies ... and when I'm in need of another emotional fix.

Have you read any Nicholas Sparks books? Which one was your favourite?

xx

*image not mine

No comments:

Post a Comment